Due to a recent revision to Chapter 22 of the Garland City Ordinance, Garland residents are no longer required to register their pets with the Garland Animal Services Department. The requirement for city registration has been replaced with mandatory microchipping for all newly adopted animals and animals reclaimed by their owners.
• All dogs and cats must be vaccinated for rabies between the ages of twelve (12) weeks and sixteen (16) weeks.
• All dogs and cats shall either:
- Receive a rabies vaccine annually; or
- Receive an initial rabies vaccine; receive a booster rabies vaccine within the twelve-month period following the initial vaccination; and
be revaccinated at least once every three years thereafter with a vaccine approved as a three-year vaccine.
• All vaccines administered under this section shall be licensed for use in that species by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and administered by a duly authorized veterinarian. A paper certificate must be issued upon each vaccination stating the name of the owner, the address of the owner, a description of the dog or cat, the date of the vaccination, the date the vaccination expires, the administering veterinarian’s signature and license number, and the kind of vaccine used.
• Animal owners shall provide proof of current rabies vaccination for any animal required to be vaccinated under this article upon request by the Supervisor of Animal Services or their designee.
City Ordinance Sterilization of impounded animal required.
Sterilization of impounded animals required. The owner of an unspayed or unneutered dog or cat that has been impounded by the City must provide proof of sterilization of the impounded animal within thirty (30) days of the date the animal is reclaimed. A person commits an offense if the person is the owner of an unspayed or unneutered dog or cat, the dog or cat has been impounded by the City, the person reclaims the animal, and the person fails to provide proof of surgical sterilization within thirty (30) days of reclaiming the dog or cat.
Please note that fees are subject to change due to the number of times your pet has been impounded. Payment is accepted in Cash, Credit Card, Debit and Checks.
$25 Small Trap Deposit
$50 Large Trap Deposit
Citizens should call 972-205-3570, press 4 to ensure trap availability as the number of traps is limited.
$5 Daily Handling Fee
$10 Daily Observation Fee
$50 Home Quarantine
$55 Rabies Shipment
$125 Impound Fee for unsterilized ($75 voucher) and $25 impound for sterilized